Types of Testing that can be automated using Selenium
The following are the different testing types that can be automated using Selenium:
- > Functional Testing
- > Functional Testing is performed to test whether the Software application is functioning according to the specified business requirement specifications
- > Selenium Automates the functional tests mainly at the UI layer of the Web Application under test.
- > The following Functional Testing types can be automated using Selenium
- > Smoke Testing – Testing whether major or critical functionalities of the application are working fine before accepting the build
- > Sanity Testing – Testing whether the changed or fixed functionalities of the application are working fine by testing them in depth
- > UI Testing – Testing the Graphical User Interface elements on the application like buttons, check-box options, menus, text alignments etc. are displayed properly
- > Database Testing – Testing whether the data displayed and updated on the UI of the application is in sync with the data stored in the database of the application
- > Cross Browser Testing – Testing whether the Application is working in all its supported browsers
- > Regression Testing – Testing whether no side effects are introduced into the working and stable functionalities of the application, when the code changes or fixes or new additions are done on the application.
Regression Testing (Main Testing Type for automation)
- > Regression Testing ensures any enhancements or bug fixes or new additions in the software code, has not introduced any side effects into the previously working functionalities of the software.
- > The main purpose of automation is to automate all these stable regression testing scenarios, which can’t be covered manually every time the application functionality changes.
What types of testing cannot be automated using Selenium?
The following are the different types of testing that cannot be automated using Selenium:
- > Selenium is not the tool for performing API testing, instead we have to use other automation tools like Rest Assured Framework etc.
- > Selenium is not the tool for performing Mobile Testing, instead we have to use other automation tools like Appium etc.
- > Other limitations of Selenium tool will be explained in the upcoming tutorial topics.
Watch this video on ‘What types of testing can be automated using Selenium?” for more clarity:
- > Selenium can automate Functional Testing and Regression Testing types
- > To learn more about Selenium, continue to the next post (Click on Next Post link below)
- > Check complete Selenium Tutorial Contents here (Click here)
Please leave your questions/comments/feedback below.
Happy Learning 🙂
Arun Motoori (www.QAFox.com)
On a mission to help the Testing Community in all possible ways.