From this post, we are going to start explaining the ISTQB Certified Tester Foundation Level concepts in a detailed and easier manner.
Pr-requisite: Before reading this article, please go through the below article:
ISTQB CTFL – What is Software Testing and its Objectives?
With respect to ISTQB CTFL exam, the following are the points we need to learn from this article on ‘What is Software Testing?’.
All the points in this article fall under the K2 category of ISTQB CTFL Exam (i.e. We just need to understand these topics, no need to by-heart or remember any topic in this article.)
What is Software Testing?
- > Software Testing is the process of operating a Software to find optimum bugs as early as possible.
- – i.e. Using the Software with an intention of finding required bugs as early as possible
- > It is also used to help identify the correctness, completeness, security and quality of developed computer software.
- – Identify the correctness -> Checking whether the Software is working as required to work.
- – Identify the completeness -> Checking whether there are no left-outs in the software and is fully developed per the requirements.
- – Identify the security loopholes -> Even after the Software is functioning fine as per the requirements, we need to figure out if there are any security loopholes or vulnerabilities in the Software, which may open the gates for the Hackers to hack the Software.
- – Identify the quality -> Its not just about finding the fully functioning of the Software, but also to find that the quality of the Software is per the Customer Satisfaction levels. Examples: Performance, Look and Feel etc.
Objectives of Software Testing
- > Check whether the Software Product/Project is as per the requirements, software design, and source code.
- – i.e. Checking whether the Developed Software is working as per the requirements given in different forms.
- > Verify and validate that all the User requirements are covered
- – i.e. Checking whether the Developed Software is fully complete as per the requirements and working nature.
- > To prevent the defects from leaking to the Production or Customers
- – i.e. No defects are missed while Testing and leaked to the market.
- > Finding defects in the Software before User finds them out
- – i.e. Software Testers should find the defects in the Software to deliver the Quality and defect free Software to the Customers or Real Users
- > To provide enough information to stakeholders to allow them to make informed decisions, especially regarding the level of quality of the test object.
- – Software Testers plays a crucial role in analyzing the quality of the Software and give periodic information to the stakeholders (i.e. Project team) in taking better decisions of releasing/changing the Software based on the quality report provided by Testers.
- > Gaining confidence regarding the level of quality of the Test Object
- – Software Testing check the working of the Software and get a confidence regarding the current level of quality of the Software under Test.
An Example for Demonstrating on How a Software Tester performs Software Testing:
Software Tester checks the requirements he receives from his stakeholders. Lets say the Software Tester has received the below requirement for the Software Under Test.
Requirement: In Search box field, user can search books, audio books, electronics etc. After entering any search text term/keyword into the Search box field and click on Search Button, the respective search results of the products in the website should be displayed. If the given search term/keyword is not matching with any data or product in the website, then “No Records Found” message should be displayed instead of Search Results.
Scenarios for Testing:
Based on the above requirements the Software Tester will identify good number of scenarios to check whether the Software Under Test is working. In the example demonstration, I am going to explain only the below two scenarios for your understanding.
Scenario#1 – Verify Search Functionality with valid Search Keyword/Data
Step# 1: Enter “Shiv Khera” text into the Search Text Box field on the website
Step#2: Click on ‘Search’ button or press ‘Enter’ Keyboard Key as shown below
Step#3: Verify Search Results
In the above scenario, the Search Results are matching with the Search Keywords.
Now, lets check the working of the same Search functionality in the Software by providing invalid Search Keywords and verify the Search Results.
Scenario#2 – Verify Search functionality with invalid Search Keyword/Data
Step#1 – Enter “@@@” invalid Search Keyword Text/Data into the Search Box Field on the Website
Step#2 – Click on ‘Search’ Button or press ‘Enter’ Keyboard Key as shown below:
Step#3 – Verify Search Results
In the above Screenshot displaying Search Results, the Given Keyword doesn’t match with the given Search Results. As per the Requirements given, we should get “No Records Found” message instead of this invalid search results. Hence we can report of bug and get it fixed by the developers.
Hope, it is now clear on “What is Software Testing?” and the “Object of Software Testing”.
> To learn more about ISTQB CTFL, continue to the next post (Click on Next Post link below)
> Check complete ISTQB CTFL Tutorial Contents here (Click here)
Please leave your questions/comments/feedback below.
Happy Learning ?
On a mission to contribute to the Software Testing Community in all possible ways.