As mentioned before, I will be using Java programming language for creating the Appium Automation scripts in this tutorial, we need to install Java and configure it in our machines.
Lets get started!
Appium – Installing and Configuring Java
Follow the below steps for installing and configuring Java in Windows machine:
1) Google Search for ‘Java 8 download’ and click on the first link displayed in the search results as shown below:
2) In the displayed ‘Java SE Development Kit 8 Downloads’ page, scroll down a bit and select the ‘Accept License Agreement’ option as shown below:
3) Now, download either 32 bit or 64 bit of Java for Windows based on your machine type. (Remember if you choose 32 bit version of Java, then you need to choose 32 bit version of Eclipse IDE later. And if you choose 64 bit version of Java, then you need to choose 64 bit version of Eclipse IDE later)
4) You will be asked to Login to the Oracle Account. (If you have not created an account with Oracle, create one and try to login). Login to the Oracle account.
5) Observe that you will get logged in and immediately after logging in, your Java will start downloading as shown below:
6) Once the Java exe file get downloaded, double click on it to start installation (as shown below)
7) Click on ‘Next’ and ‘Close’ Buttons as shown in the below screenshots:
8) Java Installation has successfully completed now. Now follow the next steps for configuring Java in your Windows machine.
9) Go the path C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jdk1.8.0_211 and copy the Path of this JDK folder as shown below (If you have intalled 64 bit Java, then you need to go to the path C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_211)
10) Right click on ‘This PC’ option and select ‘Properties’ option as shown below:
11) In the displayed ‘System’ Window, click on the ‘Advanced System Settings’ option as shown below:
12) In the displayed ‘System Properties’ dialog, click on the ‘Environment Variables’ button as shown below:
13) In the displayed ‘Environment Variables’ dialog, click on ‘New’ button under the System Variables section as shown below:
14) In the displayed ‘System Variable’ dialog, type ‘JAVA_HOME’ into the Variable Name and Java JDK folder path (Copied in Step 9) into the Variable value as shown below and click on ‘OK’ button
15) Verify ‘JAVA_HOME’ System variable is successfully added as shown below:
16) Go the path C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jdk1.8.0_211\bin and copy the Path of this bin folder as shown below (If you have intalled 64 bit Java, then you need to go to the path C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_211\bin)
17) Now Select ‘Path’ variable in the ‘Environment Variables’ dialog and click on ‘Edit’ button as shown below:
18) In the displayed ‘Edit Environment Variable’ dialog, click on ‘New’ Button as shown below:
19) Now paste the Java bin folder path (Copied in step 16) and click on ‘OK’ button as shown below:
20) Click on ‘OK’ buttons in the unclosed dialogs. Now, lets verify whether the Java has been configured properly by following the next steps.
21) Open command prompt and execute the command ‘Java -version’ as shown below:
22) On executing the above command, if you see the Installed and configured Java version displayed as below, then you can confirm that the Java has been successfully installed and configured in your machine:
As we have now installed Java in our machine, now lets go through the next articles to install the other Software that is required for Appium.
- > To learn more about Appium, continue to the next post (Click on Next Post Link Below)
- > Check complete Appium Tutorial Contents here (Click here)
Please leave your questions/comments/feedback below.
Happy Learning ?
On a mission to contribute to the Software Testing Community in all possible ways.