20 Disadvantages or limitations of using Selenium
The following are the disadvantages or limitations of using Selenium:
Note: The below list also includes the scenarios that Selenium cannot automate apart from the disadvantages or limitations of Selenium.
- > Selenium cannot automate desktop applications
- > We have tools like QTP/UFT, TestComplete, Winnium etc. to perform the automation testing of Desktop Applications
- > Selenium cannot automate mobile applications
- > Appium is the best tool for automating the mobile applications
- > Selenium is not the tool for automating Web Services like Soap or Rest
- > We have dedicated tools like Rest Assured Framework, Apache HTTP Client, SoapUI, PostMan etc. to automate them
- > Can be automated using Selenium up to some limit
- > Selenium requires technical skills to automate the tests
- > Selenium doesn’t have built-in Object Repository for maintaining objects at a centralized location
- > Tools like QTP/UFT etc. have this feature.
- > Selenium doesn’t have any reporting capability by default
- > Selenium has to integrate with TestNG, Extent Reports etc. to get the reporting feature
- > Selenium doesn’t have the capability to test using the images by default
- > Selenium integrate with tools like Sikuli to perform Image Based Testing
- > Selenium cannot handle Window Based pop-ups which appear while working with the Web Application functionalities like Upload File etc.
- > Selenium integrates with tools like AutoIt to handle such Window Based pop-ups
- > Selenium cannot automate Captcha
- > The purpose of Captcha is to separate robots from humans.
- > The best way to test them is to ask the development team to disable them or make them static
- > Selenium cannot automate Bar codes or QR codes
- > The purpose of Bar codes or QR codes is to uniquely identify something
- > Selenium cannot automate OTP
- > The purpose of OTP is for security authentication reasons
- > Selenium cannot automate Video Streaming
- > Selenium won’t identify video controls
- > Selenium can’t test the content that is playing inside the video
- > Selenium cannot automate audio clips
- > Selenium can’t test the content that is played in audio clips
- > Selenium doesn’t have its own IDE for creating or executing scripts
- > Selenium needs other IDEs available in the market like Eclipse IDE, IntelliJ etc.
- > Where as other tools like QTP/UFT, Test Complete etc. have their own IDEs for creating and executing automation scripts
- > As Selenium is an Open Source and free tool, there is no vendor or official support
- > In case of tools like QTP/UFT, HP company provides the official support
- > In case of Selenium, there are numerous helping communities though
- > Creating test environments or test scripts in Selenium takes time
- > In Selenium, we have to configure everything on our own
- > Tools like QTP/UFT, Test Complete etc., have inbuilt features to create everything
- > No default tools for Test Management is available in the Selenium Suite of tools
- > In case of QTP/UFT, we have QC/ALM tool from the same HP family
- > For Selenium, we have to integrate with other Test Management tools available in the market
- > Selenium is the not the effective solution to automate Performance Testing
- > Thought performance testing can be automated using Selenium, its not an effective solution
- > There are specific tools like JMeter, LoadRunner etc. which are effective in performance testing
- > Selenium is not the effective solution to automate Security Testing
- > Though Security Testing can be automated to some extent using Selenium, its not an effective solution
- > There are specific tools like BurpSuite etc. which are effective in Security Testing
- > Selenium cannot automate Chat Bots
- > There are separate tools like Botium etc. to automate chat bots.
- > Other things that cannot be automated using Selenium
- > Real life scenarios like swiping a card, printing, scanning etc.
- > Let me know in comments of this blog post, if you find something that I missed in this list.
Watch this video on “20 Disadvantages or limitations of using Selenium Automation Tool” for more clarity:
- > To learn more about Selenium, continue to the next post (Click on Next Post link below)
- > Check complete Selenium Tutorial Contents here (Click here)
Please leave your questions/comments/feedback below.
Happy Learning 🙂
On a mission to contribute to the Software Testing Community in all possible ways.