What is Selenium, its different components and versions?
Watch the answer for this Selenium Interview Question in a detailed manner in the below youtube video:
Note: Don’t forget to subscribe to my Youtube channel and click on ‘Bell’ icon to get instant notifications.
Notes used in the above Youtube Video:
What is Selenium?
- > Selenium is one of the most popular Test Automation Tool available in the market
- > Selenium automates Web Applications only
- > Selenium cannot automate Desktop or Mobile applications
- > Selenium is an Open Source Tool
- > Open Source Software – Software’s who’s source code can be publicly accessible and can be used by other developers/communities to view, modify or enhance or share it for different reasons.
- > Selenium is Free
- > No licensing cost is involved
- > Selenium can be used to execute the automation tests across the following different supported browsers
- > Chrome
- > Firefox
- > Internet Explorer
- > Safari
- > Opera
- > Selenium can be used to execute the automation tests across the following different operating systems
- > Microsoft Windows
- > Apple OS X
- > Linux
- > Selenium automation scripts can be developed using any of the following programming languages:
- > Java (Mostly used, famous and also has lot of support in the market)
- > Python
- > C#
- > Ruby
- > Perl
- > PHP
- > R
- > Haskell
- > Objective C
What are the different components of Selenium?
- > Selenium is not a single tool, instead it is a suite of tools
- > Instead Selenium is the combination of the following different tools or components
- > Selenium IDE
- > Record and Playback Tool
- > Cannot be used for complex applications
- > Selenium RC (Outdated)
- > Used to be the major tool earlier till the Selenium WebDriver came into the market with more benefits.
- > Selenium WebDriver
- > Major tool of Selenium in the current market
- > Selenium Grid
- > Used to support parallel execution by distributing the tests across multiple machines
- > Selenium IDE
What are the different versions of Selenium?
- > Selenium 1
- > Selenium 1 = Selenium IDE + Selenium RC + Selenium Grid
- > Selenium 2
- > Selenium 2 = Selenium IDE + Selenium WebDriver 2.x + Selenium RC + Selenium Grid
- > Selenium 3
- > Selenium 3 = Selenium IDE + Selenium WebDriver 3.x + Selenium Grid
- > For more Selenium Interview Questions and answers, continue to the next post (Click on Next Post link below)
- > Check complete Selenium Interview Questions list here (Click here)
Please leave your questions/comments/feedback below.
Happy Learning 🙂